Thursday, September 22, 2011

"Redlining" Yourself

Most vehicles these days have a tachometer designed to read the engines Revolutions Per-Minute (RPM) which allows the driver to operate the vehicle at a proper and safe engine RPM level, exceeding the RPM levels can cause serious damage to the engine.  The gauge typically marks the maximum RPM level with a set of numbers highlighted in a red or by a red line.  Therefore, the term “redlining” refers to pushing the engine to its breaking point. 

*** Caution***
As usual thanks to all those sue happy people that don’t take responsibility for their own actions I must post this disclaimer:  The following are my own opinions, follow them at your own risk and consult your physician before starting any physical activity.

Just like different vehicles have different RPM red line levels, different people have their own red line levels or breaking point.  However, our red line levels are not pre-set and can be increased through proper exercise.  I will use this analogy to describe a workout routine that I often attempt at least once or twice a month.  I call this routine “redlining”, (original I know:), it's not a routine I look forward to and its purpose is to take me to my breaking point, little by little.

REDLINING ROUTINE DEVELOPMENT

In my opinion, a good “redlining” routine should make you fear it, hate it and make you feel like avoiding it all together, otherwise it may be too easy for you.  The ideal custom “redlining” routine should challenge you at all levels to include, fitness, mental and motivation levels.  Use extreme caution when performing your custom “redlining” routine, don’t rush it and pay close attention to your body.  This is why I put so much emphasis on the “Self-Awareness” connection and why I always suggest more anaerobic activity. 

The idea is not to create a routine that you can master on the first try; the idea is to create a routine that gives you a long term challenge.  Believe me, I didn’t get to this level overnight, so don’t set your sights too low.

My “redlining” routine: (rest < 30 seconds between sets and stages, complete all 5)
  • Run for at least 18 to 20 minutes on tread mill at a speed setting of 8
  • Perform 100 pull-ups in 6 minutes or less
  • Perform 200 push-ups in 5 minutes or less
  • Perform various types of abdominal exercises, from the supine position, for 10 minutes without stopping 100 situps in 3 minutes or less
  • Perform 100 dips in 5 minutes or less
As you meet your targets, increase the requirements.  Some will take longer to reach than others.  Pull-ups are very difficult, if you find yourself doing less than 3 reps, feel free to substitute some dumbbell presses instead.

“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”

                                                ~ Michael Jordan


Feel free to contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment